The follow recipe was shared by Bob K., a regular Wells Medina Nursery customer. Bob got the recipe from Duris' Cucumber Farm in Puyallup and has modified it to his liking over several years. He was kind enough to share it with us, and we'd like to share it with you.
To each quart jar, add in order:
- 1 grape leaf
- 1 stalk fresh dill wound in a small circle
- 3 peeled cloves of garlic
- 3 teaspoons of pickling salt
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seed
- 15 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 to 1 dried hot chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon alum
- 1/4 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 slice of sweet red bell pepper, place on jar wall
- 5 medium cucumbers, blossom end removed. (7 or 8 "small" medium has worked for Bob)
- 2-3 small cucumbers, blossom end removed
- 1/2 cup of 5% apple cider vinegar
Fill jar with tap water to within 1/2 inch of top, screw on brand new lids and shake well to dissolve powders. Store in the refrigerator. Pickles will be ready to eat in 3-4 weeks, but leaving them in longer will enhance the flavor.